In general, nowadays, whenever people need to obtain any type of information, they turn to the Internet and using their web browser of preference, they visit the pages that can possibly give them the correct information. However, in most cases, these websites contain additional information and because of that, the search process becomes more tedious and also much slower. Therefore, users may have a question regarding the possibility that exists to place a specific word on a web page and thus we must know how to search for a word on a page faster and easier.
For this reason, we have decided to let you know all the procedures on how to search for words on a web page. Facilitating in this way, the main methods that you must perform, depending on the computer you use (Windows or Mac) and also based on the most common web browsers used worldwide.
How to search for a word on a web page for Windows and Mac
Before specifying yourself in detail, the steps you must take in each web browser to be able to search and get a specific word or phrase within an information contained in a website; it is necessary to indicate how to search for words on your Windows or Mac computer, by means of shortcuts on an open page.
Next, the procedure to follow to achieve it through this trick …
1) Once you are on the website where you want to search, press the following keys simultaneously (depending on the operating system); since they are the ones that can open the search box of almost all browsers:
- On Windows computers: ” Ctrl + F “
- On a Mac: “Command + F”
2) Subsequently, they will show you a small box at the top of the screen and that is where you must write the word or phrase to search on the website. As you type, the search engine you use will begin to locate the matches. Taking into account that, this process is not case sensitive.
3) Finally, you only have to scroll through the website to see all the coincidences. You can click on the “Previous” and “Next” buttons in the “Search” box to review the entire site step by step, as the page will jump directly from one match to another.
How to search for a word on a web page with Google Chrome
Now, let’s take into account the steps on how to search for a word on a page but in specific web browsers. Since, although these are similar processes, they are equally distinguished from each other.
In the case of Google Chrome, what you have to run is the following …
- To start, search through Google Chrome, the website you want to visit and in which, you want to find a specific word or phrase. Fortunately, the process of how to search a website for a word works for all cases, whether simple or even large and complex websites.
- Then, proceed to type at the beginning of the search bar, which we indicate below: “site: example.com”. Since this tells the service that you should only search the pages contained in such a site.
- Once this is done, enter the complete word or phrase you wish to locate, just after the site address. Just keep in mind that, if it is a phrase, you must place it in double-quotes for more accuracy in the search. On the contrary, a single word must not contain such signs. And now, press the “Enter” button.
- Finally, you have to open one of the pages that Google shows you in the search results and then, you must rely on the “Search” option in the settings menu, so that the platform marks the text that matches.
To make use of the “Search” option in Google Chrome, you just have to carry out the procedure described above, either using the shortcut keys or through the web browser menu.
How to search for a word on a web page using Mozilla Firefox
The procedure of how to search a page for a word to execute in Firefox, fortunately, is very simple and its steps are …
- Access the search engine and proceed to locate the web page where you want to inquire about a specific word or phrase.
- When you are already inside the website, go to the upper right and click on the menu button that identifies with the three vertical bars.
- Now, in the menu that opens, select the option “Search this page” or if you prefer, you can use the keyboard shortcuts indicated at the beginning for Windows or Mac.
- After that, they will show you a search field at the bottom of the screen and in that place; you have to type the word or phrase you want to find. Thus, in a matter of seconds, Mozilla Firefox will proceed to highlight the matches, automatically.
It is valuable to note that, as in the previous cases, you can jump to each match on the page with the “Next” and “Previous” arrows. In addition, use the “X” to close the search bar whenever you want.
On the other hand, you have other useful options during the process and refer to …
- “Highlight everything”, which allows you to immediately highlight all the terms that match the search you indicated at the time. To deactivate this function, click on “Highlight all” again and voila.
- “Complete words”, which is an option that only highlights complete words that match your search.
- “Uppercase/lowercase matches“, which is used to search differently between upper and lower case. Thus, the service will only locate the phrase as is and how you entered it.
- In case Mozilla Firefox does not get any results according to your search, it will simply issue the following message: “The phrase was not found”.
How to search for words on a web page using Microsoft Edge
In case you choose to do your searches on the network through the famous Microsoft Edge browser, there is also a simple and effective solution for you when you want to search for one or several words on any website.
For the process on how to search a word on a website, you must carry out is the one that we detail below …
- Start by entering Microsoft Edge through your computer and there, enter the web page that contains the information you want to find out from a particular word or phrase.
- Later, when accessing this web page, go to the upper right part of the window and click on the menu. That is, in the icon that contains three points horizontally.
- Now, select the “Search on page” option, which is located in the drop-down menu.
- With this, you can see a search bar at the top of the screen and there, you have to proceed to type the word or phrase to search.
As in the other tricks, you can also scroll between each match using the “Previous” and “Next” arrows. In short, you have other options to refine your search, which are:
- “Complete words only”: Works only to locate specific words.
- “Match uppercase and lowercase”: This is used to find results that are totally equal to the phrase or word you write, taking into account the upper and lower case.
How to search for a word on a web page using Opera browser
As there are many users of the Opera browser today, it is appropriate to detail the procedure to follow to find and find a word or a combination of words on any website.
Thus, the step-by-step indicated below is the one that you must execute on how to search for words …
- First of all, enter the Opera platform and proceed to find the information you want on the website of your choice to access it.
- When you are already inside the indicated website, go to the upper left of the window and click on the icon of this browser to access the menu. Which, is identified with a letter “O” of red color.
- This will open a drop-down menu with several options and to complete this process, you have to choose the “Search …” section or use the recommended key combination at startup for Windows or Mac.
- After that, they will show you a search bar at the top of the web page and in that place, you have to enter the word or phrase to search.
- Finally, you can use the “Previous” and “Next” arrows, in order to scroll through the entire page to jump in each match located by the web browser.
If you have any questions on how to search a word on a website, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you!
You may also like to read: Using Control-F to search for text within actual documentsTags: how to search a page for a word, how to search a website for a word, how to search a word on a website, how to search for a word on a page, how to search for a word on a web page, how to search for words, how to search for words on a web page, word on a web page