Have you already decided the date of the big day and you are undecided about where to go on honeymoon?
These days I am then overwhelmed by the questions of three couples close to me that in the coming months will seal their love. Do you have any idea on where to go on honeymoon? Absolutely yes and I am ready to give you some useful suggestions.
The first thing to do to choose the destination of the honeymoon is to have in mind the period of the trip and choose a destination that is climatically suitable for that period. For example, it is not recommended to go to the Caribbean from the second half of August to the month of October for cyclones, and it is not a good thing to ruin the best trip of life for not having chosen the destination carefully.
However the world is big and the places to visit are so many that you will be spoiled for choice.
Where to go on honeymoon? Dream sea and romantic islands
If your dream has always been to spend a relaxing honeymoon lying on white beaches and facing a sea of a thousand shades of blue you could consider the following alternatives …
- Polynesia: The dream of everyone, or almost, even if it is a rather expensive destination because of the distance. But once there you forget about any problem. A beautiful tour among the unmissable islands like Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora, a beautiful “overwater” room on the sea populated by tropical fish, a deckchair, a cocktail at sunset and lots of love. The best time to go is from May to October, the dry and less rainy season.
- Maldives: Indicated mostly to those seeking only and exclusively relaxation, even if a friend of mine who was there for two weeks on a honeymoon told me that 15 days on an atoll, despite the excursions, are enough. But yes, it’s all about tastes. The best time to go is from January to April.
- Mauritius: I adore this island that combines a dream sea with many activities to do both in the water and in the hinterland. It is the ideal destination for those spouses looking for a compromise between relaxing on the beach and things to visit. I’ll tell you just a few: the lands of the seven colors of Chamarel, the lake sacred to the Hindu Grand Bassin, the capital Port Louis with its bustling market, the colonial houses, the tea plantations and the rhumerie. The added value of Mauritius is then the courtesy and kindness of its inhabitants who always dispense a dazzling smile. The best times to go are from September to December and April to June.
- Seychelles: The wonderful archipelago in the Indian Ocean with over 100 granite and coral islands. I suggest you divide your holiday between the islands of Mahé, Praslin and La Digue, in order to have an overview of various aspects of life in the Seychelles. The dream sea is assured, trust me! The best months to go are April, May, October and November.
- Riviera Maya in Mexico: The same speech I did for Mauritius, is perfect for those couples who want to relax on the beaches overlooking the Caribbean Sea or go on naturalistic and cultural excursions. The first time I was there during the honeymoon and I fell so in love with Mexico that I came back two more times and I plan to come back very soon. In the Mayan Riviera you can visit the ruins
- of ancient civilization, bathe in the cenote (lakes in underground caves) and delight your palate with the immaterial heritage of UNESCO humanity. In Mexico it is not recommended to go there between the second half of August and the month of October.
- Caribbean Islands: I immediately think of Cuba because I love it, but there are many others such as Bahamas, Barbados, Santo Domingo, Saint Martin, Antigua, and Martinique. In Cuba, you will have the chance to visit wonderful cities like Havana, Santa Clara and Santiago de Cuba – maybe doing a nice trip on the road – and relax at the sea of Cayo Largo, Cayo Guillermo and Varadero. In the Caribbean it is not recommended to go there between the second half of August and October because of the hurricanes.
- Fiji Islands: My friend was on her honeymoon and showed me some amazing images. It is precisely the exotic place par excellence with the coral reef inhabited by colorful fish, tropical forests and landscapes to be enjoyed in complete relaxation. The best time to go to Fiji is from May to October.
- Hawaii: Are the ideal destination for those who get married in the summer, they had also proposed to me and Valentina that we got married on July 21, although then as you know we preferred another destination. They say that Honolulu is very “American” with skyscrapers and many shops to go shopping, but just change the island and go to Kauai, Ohau or Maui for example to live in close contact with the true Hawaiian culture and admire the nature that dominates overwhelmingly. Volcanoes, forests and dream beaches. Sooner or later I will go there too!
- Whitsunday Island: This Australian archipelago off the coast of Queensland is one of the most peaceful places on the planet and is perfect for couples seeking tranquility and intimacy in close contact with nature. Whitsundays Airlie Beach Boat Tours advise that the best time to go is from April to October, with max temperatures in the high 20 degrees Celsius, low humidity and the least expected rainfall (more sunny days!).
- Thailand: one of the most classic destinations for a honeymoon. If you want you can combine with dream islands like the Similan, Koh Samui and Phi Phi Island, even a few days in Bangkok and a tour for Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai between nature, culture and tradition.
- Santorini: For those who do not want to go to the other side of the world there is the beautiful and romantic Greek island with what they say is the most beautiful sunset in the world. Stroll through its narrow cobbled streets flanked by white houses surrounded by blue, take a drink overlooking the caldera, relax on the beach … Santorini is pure magic!
Where to go on honeymoon? On the road to the world
If you and the other half of your heart do not feel like lounging at the sea for the duration of your honeymoon, you can opt for a nice trip on the road. Rent a car and discover the places that most interest you, in total freedom if you are searching where to go on honeymoon …
You may also interested to know about types of attraction
- United States of America: The first honeymoon on the road that comes to my mind to advise you is through the United States of America. The territory is so boundless and varied that you will be spoiled for choice. The road trip par excellence is the one along Route 66 that starts from Chicago and goes up to Santa Monica. Also beautiful in California, from San Francisco to San Diego through the Yosemite park (if you love the parks read our guide to the Parks of California), Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Death Valley and arriving in Nevada, Las Vegas. You could also do a nice ride to Florida from Miami to the Keys Islands, or the coast to coast from New York to San Francisco via Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans, otherwise a nice trip along the East Coast, from the Big Apple to Maine.
- Canada: Canada also lends itself well to an on the road trip, especially for those who love nature. You could choose Québec with its picturesque villages and the cities of Montréal and Quebec City, Ontario with Toronto and the Niagara Falls, otherwise from Calgary to Vancouver along suggestive roads of the Rocky Mountains and arriving to the Pacific Ocean. Better to go there in the summer.
- South Africa: A country that is touristically speaking is taking a lot of foot and that allows you to live experiences among safaris in the natural parks – first of all the Kruger Park – high mountains and beautiful beaches. It is recommended to go there during our winter, from December to February.
- Australia: Where to go on honeymoon if not in Australia? Many of my friends who have been there have done it both for the beauty of the country and for a very specific reason “when I get back to going there if not on honeymoon?” The journey is long and expensive, and the money that collimulate on the occasion of the wedding by friends and relatives give a great help to realize this dream. The country is boundless and ranges from super-modern cities like Sydney and Melbourne, to breathtaking nature spots like Uluru, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest in Queensland, the Kakadou National Park in the Northern Territory, Kangaroo Island. The charm of kangaroos and koalas is not discussed at all!
- New Zealand: A destination especially suitable for those who love trekking. Among glaciers, forests and beautiful beaches. The best time to go is the one that corresponds to our winter, from December to March.
- Ireland: Staying in Europe I recommend you instead a nice trip on the road in Ireland. I’ve been there many times, maybe six or seven, and every time I found one more reason to come back. There are many fantastic routes, first of all the scenic Wild Atlantic Way between breathtaking views and ancient traditions and the Causeway Coastal Route in Northern Ireland. Do not miss the stops in Dublin, Belfast and Galway.
- Iceland: One of the most popular destinations in recent years, and I assure you that Iceland is so fascinating that it is really worth visiting. Gigantic waterfalls, geysers that spray high jets of steam, thermal lagoons and lots of wild nature. Ideal for those looking for a trip in close contact with nature and relaxing. I will also be crazy but I recommend it during the autumn / winter, it will certainly be cold (I was there at the end of November and I can confirm) but with a bit of luck you can admire the Northern Lights.
- Japan: I enter the Land of the Rising Sun among on-the-road journeys but it is better to visit it on board its super-fast trains rather than renting a car. In Japan there are so many things to visit, from modern cities like Tokyo and Osaka to the more characteristic ones like Kyoto and Nara, from the forests of Hokkaido to the rice fields of Kansai, and the infamous Hiroshima.
Where to go on honeymoon? The cruise
The cruise allows you to live in complete relaxation without thinking about anything. You do not have to go in search of the restaurant for dinner, you do not have to go to look for the place or the theater to spend the evening, you do not have to drive or take trains to reach the various locations and you do not even have to carry your suitcases from one place to another. You embark and you do not think about anything anymore, just to enjoy the journey.
Now the shipping companies offer itineraries anywhere in the planet, there are some that even go around the world.
You go from those in the Mediterranean with different routes between Greece, Italy and Spain, to those in the Caribbean (me and Vale we did a wonderful MSC cruise to Cuba and the Caribbean), to those summer to the Norwegian fjords or to the Baltic capitals such as St. Petersburg, Tallin, Copenhagen and Stockholm and the most unusual ones in the United Arab Emirates. Lately we have made a wonderful MSC cruise in Northern Europe where we have visited beautiful places like Normandy in France, Stonehenge and Salisbury in Great Britain, Bruges in Belgium, Amsterdam and Hamburg.
You may also like: What is lineart?
Where to go on honeymoon? The white expanses of Northern Europe
If you love Nordic landscapes and you get married in winter I suggest you a nice trip to Finland and precisely in Finnish Lapland , in close contact with the Sami culture among reindeer, enchanted landscapes, many interesting and fun activities to do such as excursions with husky sleds and a visit to the Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi. For couples on their honeymoon, there are also very romantic accommodations that give the possibility to sleep in a glass igloo, admiring the sky all night long waiting for the thousand shades of green brought by the Northern Lights.
Where to go on honeymoon? The cities
Do you have a few days available or just want to spend your honeymoon in a romantic city?
The first that come to mind for a honeymoon, and that I can advise you by direct experience of where to go on honeymoon …
- Paris: The romantic city par excellence, the one that manages to combine candlelit dinners on the Seine or with views of the Eiffel Tower to crazy museums such as the Musée d’Orsay and the Louvre, shopping in the exclusive boutiques of the Champs-Élysées corners such as Montmartre and the Latin Quarter, to the magic of Disneyland. Paris has so many attractions to visit that not a week is enough to visit it all!
- New York: Despite its skyscrapers and its shining lights, New York is in my opinion a very romantic city and suitable for a newly married couple who can strengthen their love by hugging themselves in a hug admiring the city from the top of the Empire State Building or strolling through Central Park, getting excited during a gospel mass in Harlem or Brooklyn, marveling at the art works of amazing museums, but also having fun at the theater watching a beautiful Broadway musical or doing crazy shopping along Fifth Avenue.
I hope I have managed to give you some ideas on where to go on honeymoon, if you then have curiosity to ask me or questions to ask me you can leave a comment below.Tags: destination, honeymoon