Summertime brings warm sunny days lounging by the pool. As the temperatures rise, backyard pools become a refreshing oasis for families seeking a fun way to cool down and enjoy quality time together. Beyond splashing around and classic pool games like Marco Polo, many homeowners look to enhance their swimming experience with interactive pool accessories. One such item that has become increasingly popular is the pool frogger system. But what exactly is it and why do pool owners love it so much?
What is a Pool Frogger System?
A pool frogger system is a water jet game that is installed along one section of the pool wall. It consists of a series of jets that propel streams of water across the area at different heights and intervals. Somewhat resembling the classic Frogger arcade game, pool frogger challenges users to jump from jet to jet without getting splashed. The objective is to successfully leapfrog through the course of moving water bars without getting hit.
Pool frogger systems liven up the backyard swimming experience in a fun and interactive way. Adults and kids alike enjoy navigating the watery maze and competing to complete the course the fastest. The varying jet patterns keep swimmers on their toes and provides hours of amusement as players develop strategies and skills to master the frogger.
The Origins of Pool Frogger
The origins of pool frogger systems can be traced back to the late 1970s and early 1980s when interactive water games and features started becoming popular additions for residential pools. During this time, homeowners began seeking more exciting amenities to enhance their backyard swimming experience beyond just doing laps or basic splashing around.
One of the first water activity systems on the market was the pool volleyball game, which allowed players to enjoy a friendly match without a real net. Seeing the success and appeal of interactive water features, pool designers and manufacturers began experimenting with other options to bring a playful spirit to pools.
Around the same time, the arcade game Frogger gained immense popularity. The engaging concept of navigating a frog through traffic and over a river translated seamlessly to backyard pools. By the mid-1980s, pool frogger systems emerged on the scene as novel way to recreate the fun and challenge of the arcade hit in pool form.
How Pool Frogger Systems Work
The mechanics of a pool frogger system are quite straightforward. The setup includes a series of water jets protruding horizontally from the pool wall across a designated frogger area. These jets are connected via plumbing inside the pool wall to a pump system and control valve.
Using a control panel, which may be mounted poolside or in the filtration equipment area, the jets can be programmed in various sequences to create moving streams, gaps, and patterns across the frogger area. The jets may alternate from top to bottom, side to side, randomly, or in coordinated waves.
The water flow rate, timing, and jet sequence can be customized and adjusted to increase or decrease difficulty. Some pool frogger systems have up to 500 different jet sequence options. This variability keeps the frogger challenge exciting and allows the system to grow with better players’ skills.
Installing a Pool Frogger System
Installing a pool frogger system is best left to qualified pool contractors. The installation involves plumbing work to connect the jets properly and electrical work to safely hook up the control system. However, the process is relatively straightforward for an experienced pool professional.
Here is an overview of how a basic pool frogger system is installed:
- Plan Layout – The first step is to determine the layout of the frogger system based on your pool size and shape. Most frogger setups range from 10 to 30 feet long. The jets can be installed on the vertical wall or along the pool floor. Allow space on either side for players to wait before entering the course. Consider ease of access to the control panel as well.
- Install Plumbing – The jets will need to be plumbed together in line underground and tied into the existing plumbing system for the pool. This involves trenching and laying pipes for the water supply to each jet. The plumbing is then connected to the pump and filtration equipment.
- Mount Jets – Holes are drilled into the pool wall/floor where the jets will be placed. The jets are inserted and affixed in place over the holes. Spacing between the jets must match the intended patterns and sequence timing. The jets must sit flush and be waterproofed.
- Install Control Panel – The control panel is wired to power and connected to the equipment controlling the jets. Conduit and wiring runs from the panel to the pump area underground. The control panel can be placed up to 500 feet away from the frogger zone.
Following professional installation, the pool frogger system is ready to transform backyard fun!
Design Options for Pool Frogger Systems
Pool frogger systems come in a range of design varieties to match your poolscape aesthetic and suit your aquatic activity preferences. Here are some of the most popular pool frogger designs and layouts:
The most basic design is a single horizontal row of jets across a section of the pool. The jets alternate between on and off to create openings to jump through. This simple single line setup is affordable and provides straightforward fun for smaller pools.
A double row frogger increases the challenge by adding an upper and lower row of jets. Leaping between top and bottom jets in sequence prompts more strategic jumping. Varied heights create a more dynamic experience.
Frogger jets can also be arranged in zigzag or staggered patterns across two rows. Water streams come from alternating angles to keep jumpers nimsy on their toes. This layout prompts quicker lateral jumps and decision-making.
For an extreme challenge, frogger jets can extend across the entire width of the pool wall in multiple rows. With jets on all sides, this creates a 360-degree immersive frogger experience and the ultimate water maze to navigate across.
Many pool frogger systems are installed along the pool floor rather than on the walls. Built-in jets in the pool floor pop up when activated. This in-floor layout is sleeker and out of sight when not in use.
A popular configuration combines in-floor jets on the bottom with two rows on the wall for a floor-to-ceiling frogger course. The varyings levels and angles provide dynamic difficulty.
Pool frogger layouts can be customized to your pool’s parameters and tailored to your desired level of interactive aquatic fun!
Choosing the Right Frogger System
If you’re considering adding a pool frogger zone, it’s important to choose the right system for your needs. Here are some key factors to evaluate:
- Pool Type/Size – Measure your available frogger space and opt for a system scale that aligns with your pool footprint. Larger pools can accommodate longer courses.
- Jet Type – Jets come in different spray shapes like stream, fan, dome. Stream jets offer the most precise timing for jumping through. Consider noise level too.
- Control Panel – Seek out programmable panels with various sequencing options for variability. Some systems connect via WiFi or apps.
- Customization – Look for a company that can tailor the layout design, jet angles, and flow rates to your pool parameters.
- Water Pressure – Ensure the system can operate optimally based on your existing pump and plumbing system.
- Durability – Commercial-grade systems withstand high usage and last season after season.
- Budget – Frogger system costs range widely based on size, controls, and installation. Get quotes for different options.
Taking the time to research and evaluate the pool frogger systems on the market will help you invest in one that maximizes backyard aquatic entertainment for years to come!
Benefits of Adding a Pool Frogger System
Once you experience the thrill of maneuvering through a pool frogger challenge, you’ll quickly understand why these interactive water features have become so popular. Here are some of the top benefits and advantages:
- Family Fun – Pool frogger provides hours of amusement and healthy bonding time for family members of all ages and abilities. It’s a mood-boosting activity everyone can enjoy together.
- Entertaining – Pool frogger systems liven up gatherings with friends. Guests of all ages are sure to have a splashing good time competing in the aquatic obstacle course. It’s a great interactive icebreaker!
- Exercise – Navigating the frogger course gets the heart pumping as players leap, jump, and swim through the jet streams. The engaging full-body motion provides a fun workout for improved fitness.
- Skill Building – Mastering the strategic patterns and timing of a pool frogger sequence helps improve agility, coordination, balance, and quick thinking. These are beneficial physical and mental skills.
- Variable Difficulty – With multi-pattern jet programming, the frogger can adapt to players’ abilities. You can increase difficulty settings as skills progress. This keeps the activity perpetually challenging.
- Backyard Upgrade – A pool frogger adds interactive functionality and transforms your typical swimming pool into an exciting backyard waterpark for the family.
For uncomplicated enjoyment and quality bonding with family and friends, a pool frogger system is tough to beat!
Safety Considerations for Pool Frogger
While tremendously fun, pool frogger systems come with some inherent risks that should be carefully managed to keep the activity secure. Here are key safety tips:
- No diving – The frogger system should only be used for jumping vertically, not diving headfirst, as jets can cause injury. Establish and enforce a no diving rule.
- Supervise use – Young children should always have adult supervision when playing on the frogger system. Pay attention to weaker swimmers and assist if needed.
- No head entry – Require users to enter the frogger area feet first to avoid jets pushing water into ears and sinuses if heads are too low.
- Learning curve – First-time users often need guidance to understand the jet patterns. Have experienced frogger players provide direction and spotting.
- Speed settings – Adjust flow rates and difficultly appropriately for younger children. Max speeds suit stronger adults. Build up speed with skill.
- Sobriety – Just as with standard pool use, do not allow anyone intoxicated on alcohol or drugs to attempt the frogger course. Impaired judgement increases risk.
- Medical risks – Those with back injuries, heart conditions, breathing issues should consult a doctor before intense frogger play. Know health factors before participating.
A bit of education, common sense, and attentive supervision go a long way in allowing pool frogger to provide safe summertime fun.
Pool Frogger Maintenance Tips
To keep your pool frogger system operating smoothly for years to come, proper maintenance is key. Here are some best practices:
- Inspect jets – Routinely check that all jets are functioning, free of debris, and directed at appropriate angles. Tighten or replace as needed.
- Clean intake – The pump intake basket should be cleaned frequently to remove leaves and objects that could clog pipes or impede flow.
- Check seals – Ensure jet nozzles and plumbing connections have solid seals to prevent leaks which can lead to water pressure issues. Reseal gaps.
- Watch wear – Jets will eventually show wear and tear over time. Replace individual jets as their performance declines.
- Change sequence – Adjust control panel settings periodically to activate different jet sequences for new challenges. Keep the game exciting.
- Winterize – To prevent freeze damage, have a pool pro properly blow out the frogger plumbing lines with compressed air before winter.
- Test chemicals – Ensure proper water chemistry balance so the frogger system components are not compromised by highly acidic or over-chlorinated water.
Taking time to perform regular system inspections, maintenance, and adjustments will ensure your pool frogger provides endless summer enjoyment.
Top Pool Frogger Brands
There are a variety of reputable brands that manufacture pool frogger systems to bring the backyard fun. Here are 5 top options:
Splash Magic – A leader in water features and activities for decades, Splash Magic offers sophisticated frogger systems with patented technology and sequencing options.
Water Blaster – Providing residential water fun since the 1980s, Water Blaster builds quality frogger courses for in-ground pools. Great choice for contractors.
Swim Systems – Known for innovation, Swim Systems provides customized pool frogger designs, jet configurations, and user-friendly controls.
Pool Frog – As their name implies, Pool Frog specializes in bringing arcade-style frogger excitement to backyards with durable systems.
Aqua Leisure – Offering a full range of pool enhancements, Aqua Leisure has budget-friendly plug-and-play frogger packages for easy upgrading.
With such reputable brands offering pool frogger systems, you’re sure to find the right solution to take your family’s pool play to the next level this summer!
How much does a pool frogger system cost?
The cost of a pool frogger can range from $2,000 for small plug-and-play systems up to $15,000 for expansive customized installations covering a whole wall. The price depends on the system scale, jet types, controls, and complexity of installation.
Can you install a frogger on an existing pool?
Yes, a qualified pool contractor can install a complete frogger system on most existing pools by tying into the current plumbing and equipment. Some minor pool modifications may be required.
How loud are pool frogger jet noises?
The noise level depends on jet type, size, and water flow velocity, but most standard systems operate at an acceptable 60-80 decibels – similar to an everyday conversation. High-pressure jets are louder.
How much space do you need for a pool frogger?
Most systems require 8-20 linear feet of pool wall/floor space. Smaller plunge pools may only accommodate 8-10 feet while large pools can dedicate a whole wall. Discuss layout with the installer.
How do you clean a pool frogger system?
Inspect the jets to clean debris. Leaves or objects blocking jet intakes can be backflushed out. Some systems have automatic reverse flow cleaning cycles also.
Few pool accessories bring as much carefree summertime entertainment as the engaging interactive play of a pool frogger system. With imaginative jet sequencing evoking the same leapfrog fun as the classic arcade game, frogger systems provide hours of amusement, friendly competition, and fitness for family members of all ages. Just be sure to have yours installed properly by a qualified professional. Transforming your backyard into a frogger oasis is just one of the top 5 money-saving home improvements. Once your frogger oasis is flowing smoothly, your afternoons of backyard aquatic adventure await! With strategic timing and a bit of practice, you’ll be hopping through the jets before you know it, all while keeping your budget intact. So grab the sunblock, queue up some upbeat music, and let the frogger fun commence!Tags: frogger technology, pool frogger, pool maintenance, pool systems, swimming pool tech, water recreation